Still proof of burn?

From the documentation, I assumed that proof of burn is over and was replaced by proof of transfer.

So, how comes that the miner (configured according to https://docs.stacks.co/nodes-and-miners/miner-mainnet) sends the balance to 1111111111111111111114oLvT2?

Also, how long is it expected to take until the mined STX shows up in the wallet?

Mined STX shows up after a “maturity” window (100 blocks). And even in PoX some bitcoin will inevitably get sent to the burn address (e.g. during the prepare phase, or if all PoX slots are not full).

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

But is it really economic if still that much BTC get burned? When I checked 10 consecutive spends from the seed address, I got:

36% of the BTC amount being sent to the burn address
64% of the BTC amount being sent to BTC miners as fee
0% real PoX (spendable addresses not being the seed address itself receiving the change)

I wonder how appropriate stacking rewards can be paid when so much BTC just gets burned.

Also, the 100 maturity blocks seem to take pretty long. Almost a week ago, I got several log lines like this:

INFO [**********.******] [testnet/stacks-node/src/neon_node.rs:965] [relayer] Won sortition! Mining reward will be received in 100 blocks (block #*****)

Still, no reward shows up:

{"balance":"0","locked":"0","unlock_height":0,"nonce":0}

On the Xenon testnet, it took just a day to see that mining works.

Any update on this? Will the reward be sent at all?

I think the amount of of btc burned is very small amount Cycle #44 — stacking.club you can see more stats. From my understand some btc burned during the cycle is necessary of the the technical details. Maybe @muneeb can speak to that better… I remember asking that question once on Stacker Chats :slight_smile:

I wonder if @MattySTX has any info/research regarding the btc amount burn during PoX?