Path to Stacks 2.0 Mainnet

Hi everyone,

We’re just a few weeks away from the Stacks 2.0 mainnet launch!

Following up from our feature completion announcement on December 15th, I wanted to lay out what to expect in the next two weeks, leading up to the launch.

• Testing, testing and more testing! From the 700+ miners on the Krypton testnet to the availability of Stacks 1.0 data on the Xenon testnet to bug fixes, performance improvements and documentation updates, the entire Stacks community is helping out with testing and polishing rough edges.
  • Week of January 8th: Hiro PBC will release the final version of Stacks 1.0 codebase and also deploy this onto the Stacks 1.0 nodes we operate. This release will include code for the “threshold trigger” and for rejecting transactions once a final snapshot is taken as described in this post.
  • January 8th - January 12th: Miners should register themselves in the .miner namespace. During this week, there will be regular “miner office hours” to provide support and answer questions.
  • Week of January 12th: As soon as 20 miners have registered, a countdown will begin:
    • 300 blocks after this threshold is reached, a final snapshot of Stacks 1.0 state will be generated and any further Stacks 1.0 transactions will be rejected
    • 300 blocks after that (so, 600 blocks after the threshold trigger), Stacks 2.0 code will start processing burnchain blocks and be ready to mine the genesis block.

If you intend to mine on Stacks 2.0, worth reiterating a few key points:

• You’ll need access to a bitcoin node: you could self-host, get together with other miners to share a node, or try to use a publicly-accessible bitcoin node. While running a Stacks miner has no specialized hardware requirements, if you plan to self-host bitcoin, please be aware of the requirements to run bitcoind.
  • Initial mining bonus: In addition to the coinbase (1000 STX for the first 4 years), early miners will get an additional 1000 STX for the first 10000 blocks (~10 weeks) as part of the “initial mining bonus” described in this post.

As we’ve repeatedly stressed, the precise timing of the launch is controlled by independent miners via the above process. We are hopeful that the Stacks 2.0 genesis block will be mined on or before January 14th!

2020 was a monumental year for the Stacks ecosystem and 2021 will mark the beginning of a new and exciting chapter — we can’t wait!

Happy New Year,

Diwaker

6 Likes

Excited to see 700+ miners on the testnet recently! I’m getting my own nodes ready for stacking :sunglasses:

3 Likes

While 2020 has been a monumental year for the Stacks ecosystem, we look forward to 2021 going further and writing a new history of blockchain. An exciting prelude will be the beginning!

1 Like

Looking forward to a great 2021 for all-things-Stacks as we kick-off mainnet

Getting ready for Part 2 of the challenge in preparation for mainnet launch

UPDATE as of Jan. 11, 2021: See latest launch timelines here.

1 Like