Today I finished a small app I made to solve some issues that have been concerning me since I started getting involved in blockstack – real ownership in our data, even that which is stored on Gaia Hubs out of our control. I also wanted to know what was really being stored on my behalf, in an easy to get to way – and now there is! (It’s also completely client-side!)
Try it out here: https://michaelfedora.github.io/mercurius/
Mercurius is a small little file explorer that works by taking your mnemonic key and looking up many possible app-buckets on a gaia hub to see if something exists, and if so, then listing it’s contents.
In addition to seeing what apps are storing data, it can also decrypt any stored data, as well as download data (decrypted) in bulk via a zip file, all while being completely client-side.
Unfortunately this cannot “autodetect” every folder that you technically own – due to the way Gaia works, every bucket is owned by one address, which is why I have to scrub app lists and urls in order to generate many possible app buckets, and then ping the gaia hub to see if anything exists there.
Currently this is limited to your root identity and the “official” Gaia Hub at
hub.blockstack.org. You also cannot upload, move, copy, or delete files, but can only download and view.
App Naming Scheme
Currently there are a couple of weird app tags:
- Normal apps (from
app.co/api/apps) are displayed normally
- Apps from the
blockstack-browserrepo have a
*next to them
- Apps from your profile.json are shown in url form (without
- Apps that I manually added to track have
**next to them (like XOR Drive)
Soli Deo Gloria
cc @git and @Yummyblock – a solution to your problems raised in that thread =)