Verification only with social media?

Just downloaded the browser and it says for verification I need to state several social media accounts. But I’m not using social media and I never will support this data scam.
I also think that it’s quite confusing that a company striving for data security wants people to verify with social media.
Is there any possibility to verify in a different way?

1 Like

Publicly verified identity gets you key security, as it’s much easier to be certain you’re friending the right person and initiating a chat with the right person and not getting man-in-the-middle attacked.

There’s a tradeoff between this and private identity information. You can not verify your identity publicly but then you must rely on doing something like an in-person PGP key or username exchange.

We believe in focusing on helping users keep as much data as possible private. And if it takes some public identity verification to ensure secure connections and communication lines between the right people, then the tradeoff is worth it.

1 Like

How do I use in-person PGP?
I only use PGP for encrypting messages.
Is there a guide or something like that?
Thanks for your help!

I agree! I’m facing the same problem. My distrust in social media is the raison-d’être for the Blockstack networking.
I do not want to be tracked,nudged and locked in by data-hungry algorithms, that’s why I strongly believe in the power of blockchain networks.
So what is on offer for boosting my trust level? Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!
Herbertvm.id

Today’s mail said, you need to verify at least 2 social media accounts. Seems like this projects kills itself. Glad to hear BEFORE I invested my BTC.
Good for electroneum, as I will invest much more now.

Yeah, being forced to link social media accounts is laughable and is the exact opposite of privacy. I don’t want people on twitter knowing I’m looking into this, and I also don’t want people to know who I am on twitter. It doesn’t make any sense. I guess it’s good for marketing and pumping up the ICO though, so good luck with that.