Trusted Backend Computation?

There are several cases where off the top of my head I wish there where ways to do computation on my own data sitting in blockstack in the background and not consume everything on the client side.

This could realistically be done by having some type of server tied to gaia that, runs trusted verified scripts, and giving it access to decrypt and manipulate application specific data. Something to compliment gaia. Maybe giving users a ui to manage background process on their data, and controlling what tasks has access to what data. Maybe making these scripts opensource would be a requirement.

Is there anything like this currently that anyone is working on? Or is this something as a community we are trying to avoid.

This could realistically be done by having some type of server tied to gaia that, runs trusted verified scripts, and giving it access to decrypt and manipulate application specific data.

This essentially describes the Web today – you’re trusting that the remote app server runs trusted, verified code that always does the right thing. The problem with this is that this arrangement puts users completely at the mercy of the server operators. Blockstack is trying to upend this arrangement so that users do not need to trust server operators with anything they don’t want to, and this necessarily means that the “means of computing” remains on the computers that the users trust (i.e. their local devices, or rarely, on servers they own).

If there was a way to remotely execute code on a server such that there was no feasible way for the server to do anything else besides either (1) run the code you prescribed, or (2) crash, then there would be no need for blockchains or decentralized computing at all :wink:

@jude great answer and point taken.

I was thinking about it from the perspective of lets say me running my own gaiahub on my own server at home. In this situation I am running on a trusted server, but given that Gaia hubs will most likely be hosted by others for the typical user I absolutely see the issue now.

This really changes the whole dynamic of creating web apps. It’s mind boggling :joy:. Love it and hate it at the same time.