The beatuy and challenges of decentralized (profile) data

With landr.me another profile app was launched.

You can find my profile on:

I have two questions:

• Should I as a user go to all landing page apps and update my data? Soon, we will have collections and hopefully all four of them base their profile on the same data. Is that the solution? What if the collection is not suitable for all four of them?

• As an app developer, which link should I provide to my users when referencing my or other users’ profiles? Ideally, my app user can configure that. So we might need a centralized(?) directory of apps that make use of the same collection?

1 Like

I’d love to store profile data for Humans in data collections, work on which is currently underway. Blockstack should solve this particular profile maintenance pain point once and for all across all profiles on the web.

Curiously we do already have a profile.json concept. There’s a question as to how much more “profile” data should get shoved into that file vs. stored separately (in possibly many files). A person’s “profile” is vaguely defined after all and could theoretically include all their personal data (not suggesting this). Unless we freeze the profile.json's functionality to a very limited set, we may find ourselves debating just what to incrementally include as core profile data for an individual.

My sense is perhaps it should contain only strictly necessary information about a user on the Blockstack network, and not even contain things like name, pic, etc. At some point we may want to migrate those out of the file into data collections (e.g. names, photos, biographies – each of which can have a one-to-many relationship with Blockstack IDs).

I think collections is the solution to this. We can have different collections for things like contacts/friends, work history and social media accounts. Apps should request access to the data collection they need. It would also be an open system where new collection types can be added based on community input.

I think collections is the solution to this. We can have different collections for things like contacts/friends, work history and social media accounts. Apps should request access to the data collection they need. It would also be an open system where new collection types can be added based on community input.

1 Like

landr.me is down