Suggestion to Fork the Stacks Network Due to the Use of 'Blurple' Color in the Logo

Dear Community Members,

I would like to bring to your attention a matter of great concern that has been bothering me for some time now. As you may know, the Stacks Network is a popular blockchain project that has gained a lot of popularity and recognition in recent years. However, there is one issue with the project that I believe needs to be addressed urgently.

The Stacks Network logo prominently features the color ‘Blurple’, which is a combination of blue and purple. While this may seem like a trivial matter, I believe that it is a significant problem for several reasons.

Firstly, the use of ‘Blurple’ color in the logo is a violation of the principles of color theory. Blue and purple are two distinct colors that have their own unique psychological associations and meanings. By combining these two colors, the Stacks Network logo creates confusion and undermines its visual identity.

Secondly, the use of ‘Blurple’ color in the logo is a potential trademark infringement issue. Many other companies and projects use the color ‘Blurple’ in their branding and marketing efforts, which could lead to legal disputes and confusion in the marketplace.

Therefore, I would like to suggest that the Stacks Network be forked to create a new project that uses a more appropriate color scheme in its logo and branding efforts. By doing so, we can ensure that the new project stands out from the crowd and establishes its own unique visual identity.

I understand that this suggestion may be controversial, but I believe that it is necessary to ensure the long-term success of the Stacks Network and the broader blockchain community.

This has gone far enough!

I welcome your thoughts and feedback on this matter and look forward to hearing your views.

Sincerely,

Dan

3 Likes

Dear Dan,

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the Stacks Network logo and its use of the color ‘Blurple.’ It’s always valuable to receive feedback from community members, and I appreciate your willingness to engage in a discussion about the project’s visual identity. However, I’d like to offer a few counterpoints to your concerns:

1. Regarding color theory, it’s important to note that combining colors is not inherently a violation of its principles. In fact, many successful brands merge colors to create distinct and memorable visual identities. While it’s true that blue and purple have unique psychological associations, it’s possible that the ‘Blurple’ color choice was a deliberate decision to evoke a combination of those associations, rather than creating confusion.

2. Concerning potential trademark infringement, the mere use of a similar color is unlikely to result in legal disputes, as colors themselves are generally not protected by trademark law. Trademark disputes typically arise when there is a likelihood of confusion between two logos or brands, which involves factors beyond color, such as design, typography, and overall presentation.

While I understand your concern for the Stacks Network’s long-term success, I believe that forking the project solely based on a logo color choice might not be the most effective course of action. Instead, it could be more productive to focus on the underlying technology, community engagement, and other aspects that contribute to the overall success and reputation of the project.

As you have invited feedback, I encourage other community members to share their perspectives on this matter as well. Open dialogue is essential for the growth and development of any project.

Best regards,
j2p2

2 Likes

Dan, I was just wondering if the new single-solid-never-before-used-color-scheme would help build a mining/stacking pool that integrates the incentives for ethical guidelines for open AI alignment compliance in the creation of gradient descent learning tools? Would it go a long way in creating an intuitive user interface that allows users to interact with the mining/stacking pools, register their LLM, submit evaluations, and receive rewards? Would a knockoff and bastardized fusion color help define variables and data maps to store participant information, help get consensus on a layman’s understanding of “safe” AI model evaluations, and reward distribution details? Would a color like that be able to give stacks a “solid” bootstrap to come together and like…the…say…go all Manhattan project on creating functions to register AI users and AI designers and their AI models under the creedo “CAN’T BE EVIL”; by implementing functions to evaluate AI models based on ethical guidelines, either by integrating evaluation mechanisms within the smart contract or or by relying on external evaluations submitted by AI builders, users and other verifiable entities. NOPE! Like I agree Dan, I don’t see Burple ever developing functions to calculate and distribute rewards based on the AI evaluation results and AI adherence to the ethical guidelines; but a solid color…one that has never been used before…say like the color called “DON’T KILL US ALL” that color… could build clarity contracts empowered by Stacks Pox stackers that functions to enable updates or modifications to the ethical guidelines and evaluation criteria. And then if the whole thing gets a little Ifffy then dog gonit Bitcoiners can shut it down…turn off the power grid and go stone age again.

2 Likes

@Khanat … Hello to our new architect!

Cannot linger long on beginning the process. AI will eventually know more about individual human motivations and how to access them than we know ourselves.

• SIP call will always be here ready for you to advocate for your proposal. Every Friday 12pm ET.
  • Another opportunity for you to talk about it is Thursday after ET bi-weekly SIP Editors call, you can fly this idea to the SIP Editors to receive some advice.
  • Or you can fork the SIP call as well Dan :wink:
1 Like

Love it haha, on the broader issue of brand there is some work coming down the pipe.

I would recommend connecting with the WG that is taking this on. That team is going to explore deeply and get a bunch of expert input. I just posted an overview last week: Stacks and sBTC Brand Working Group · stacks-network/stacks · Discussion #483 · GitHub

Instructions for getting involved are there as well :relaxed:

1 Like