[Solved] Is the testnet able to be extended by the community?

Someone I’m working with has wanted to run both a “production” node and a “testnet” node to be able to test things out properly without stressing out the network.

However, I’ve been unable to connect the testnet core node to the testnet because it won’t connect to bitcoind with the default user (blockstack) and password (blockstacksystem) which is used in the production network.

Is the testnet open to be extended by others, or is it better to not do that because of how often it resets? And if it is better to not, what’s the alternative to those of us who want to set up our own test environments – running our own bitcoind node?

cc @jude

Hey @MichaelFedora,

However, I’ve been unable to connect the testnet core node to the testnet 1 because it won’t connect to bitcoind with the default user (blockstack) and password (blockstacksystem) which is used in the production network.

I’m not sure what you mean? This works:

$ curl http://testnet.blockstack.org:16268/v1/names/personal.id2
{"status": "registered", "expire_block": 53288, "resolver": null, "address": "mzYkvx1qDnSb4JzDT1yfd3z4e5EvzbG5yA", "zonefile_hash": "a7bc348b96212436635eb074764de4a8d26d0f8a", "renewal_deadline": 58288, "grace_period": false, "zonefile": "$ORIGIN personal.id2\n$TTL 3600\n_http._tcp URI 10 1 \"http://testnet.blockstack.org:4000/hub/1L2odtvrQm1LHCWbjT1Ho8mjn5eE8fND3o/profile.json\"\n", "blockchain": "bitcoin", "last_txid": "ae45616fabdd0b6522181b5126f5d65ffe2f1c47d045a36fbbadcf9f109eea07", "did": "did:stack:v0:mzYkvx1qDnSb4JzDT1yfd3z4e5EvzbG5yA-0"}

Also this:

$ bitcoin-cli -rpcuser=blockstack -rpcpassword=blockstacksystem -rpcconnect=testnet.blockstack.org -rpcport=18332 getnetworkinfo
{
  "version": 170000,
  "subversion": "/Satoshi:0.17.0/",
  "protocolversion": 70015,
  "localservices": "000000000000040d",
  "localrelay": true,
  "timeoffset": 0,
  "networkactive": true,
  "connections": 0,
  "networks": [
    {
      "name": "ipv4",
      "limited": false,
      "reachable": true,
      "proxy": "",
      "proxy_randomize_credentials": false
    },
    {
      "name": "ipv6",
      "limited": false,
      "reachable": true,
    },
    {
      "name": "onion",
      "limited": true,
      "reachable": false,
    }
  ],
  "relayfee": 0.00001000,
  "incrementalfee": 0.00001000,
  "localaddresses": [
  ],
  "warnings": ""
}

Is the testnet open to be extended by others, or is it better to not do that because of how often it resets? And if it is better to not, what’s the alternative to those of us who want to set up our own test environments – running our own bitcoind node?

You should be able to launch a Blockstack Core node and point it towards the testnet Bitcoind node and other testnet Blockstack Core nodes. In particular, your Atlas seed node would need to point to the testnet.blockstack.org Core node, and your [bitcoind] section will need to point to the testnet.blockstack.org Bitcoind node.

1 Like

Glad to see it works – I finally found the issue… the default [bitcoind] configure section in for blockstack-server.ini has it pointing to bitcoin.blockstack.com, and I kept the .com which made it error out. Whoops!

Thank you for your time and help!