I am doing research about the governance and design of ecosystems. I am particularly interested in the Blockstack ecosystem and hope that you can help me with some questions which are very relevant for my research. Thanks in advance !
- Are there any rules which users, developers or Blockstack PBC have to respect when they engage in the Blockstack ecosystem? (The question leans more towards actor’s activities based on the underlying infrastructure instead of a specific DApp)
- Who controls that these rules are respected by the different kinds of actors?
- Since Blockstack wants to stimulate adoption of DApps that build upon its infrastructure, the protocol has to be all-encompassing to allow DApps to build upon the protocol. How open or closed are your interfaces that connect developer’s DApps with the Blockstack infrastructure? (There is a trade-off when deciding on the degree of openness, e.g. open: stimulating adoption and a high variety of DApps vs fragmentation, potential quality loss and inefficiencies; closed: cohesive user experiences vs less adoption because of fears of being locked-in as result of low fungibility)
- Do DApp developers have to implement all standards that relate to the Blockstack infrastructure or can they also choose some modules which fit their needs? If DApp developers can decide which modules to implement, where do you draw the line of what has to be implemented? (e.g. is there a certain minimum, like single-sign on which always have to be implemented by developers while other modules are optional)
- Are there any metrics which Blockstack PBC has to fulfill to keep the support of its community?
- How are DApps affected, if Blockstack PBC does not exist anymore? Are there plans of decentralizing Blockstack PBC to reduce overall dependencies/spread responsibilities?
- Are there any informal rules, such as a codex, which affect you in your activities? (E.g. in the Book “Circle”: the main character is pressured by the community’s informal policies to always publish content on her social media channels)
- How does the decision-making procedure look like when a new version/update of the underlying Blockchain protocol is proposed? If there is any voting mechanism, who votes and how are voter’s weights determined?
- Blockstack’s project is very complex when looking at its various layers (Blockchain + Virtualchain, peer network and storage layer). Why did you include so many layers while others (e.g. Ethereum or IOTA) have fewer layers?
- What does Blockchain allow you to do what you couldnt do without it? (Or to put differently: What is the added value of integrating Blockchain?)
- What is the role of trust and power within the Blockstack ecosystem? Are they somehow affected by the incorporation of Blockchain?