Number of Miners

Hello,

I am conducting a research on various blockchains. I would like to learn how many miners or (is it called nodes) securing the Stacks chain?

I checked onstacks app and it only shows 5 active miners for last 100 blocks. How can i get let say active miners number for 1 month?

There is also a “Miners” tab onstack app and it shows around 100 miner address. Can i assume that is the total active miners?

Thanks
Evrim

Thanks Evrim, I’d like to pose this question again to the community. Please provide mining stats to assist us interested developers in understanding the security and decentralization of the chain. # of total miners, and average # of miners per block over the last 16,000 blocks would be useful.

Best,
Justin

1 Like

You can look up active miners via API or https://app.onstacks.com/. Remember that because of the way PoX works, having a large number of miners isn’t necessary to secure the chain. Further, Stacks 2.1 opened up the option for decentralized mining pools, and one is currently in the final stages of development. This should bring down the cost and complexity, making it easier for more folks to participate as miners.

Cuevasm, thank you for this helpful information. Do you know how to determine the amount of Stackers at any given time?