Newbie question

Hi,

I’m just getting started with Blockstack, so I apologize if this seems like a dumb question. However, when I click on the link to start Hello, Blockstack, I get the screen that says “Sign In with Blockstack.” But when I click on that link, Firefox wants to open an application. My problem is I don’t know what application I should choose to open.

What is it looking for in that dialog?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

AFAIK with the log on process, it goes something like this:

• Click “sign in” on a page.
  • Page redirects to “blockstack.org/auth” or something akin to that
  • Said page detects whether you have the Blockstack app installed or not - if you do, it redirects to “localhost:8888/auth” (the “web page” that the app runs on), otherwise it gives you the option to authenticate via the “browser.blockstack.org” web app.

I suppose firefox thinks localhost:8888 is an app?

What OS are you using? Can you try a different browser (Safari if on Mac, Chrome if on Windows, etc)?

Michael,

Thanks for your kind reply. However, I don’t think that the problem is precisely as you describe.

When I’m logged in (in Firefox) to Blockstack Browser, the URL is localhost[semicolon]8888. From there, when I click on the user-ready app “Hello, Blockstack!”, Firefox opens a new tab set to //helloblockstack[dot]com/.

From the helloblockstack[dot]com, when I click on the “Sign in with Blockstack” link, it tries to take me to https://helloblockstack[dot]com/#, which is when Firefox presents the dialog to choose which application to use to open whatever is found at that URL. (Similar to a link would work if were to lead me to a PDF document–Firefox would be looking for a PDF viewer.)

If I choose Firefox, Firefox tries to open a seemingly endless number of new blank tabs (so that clearly doesn’t work).

I hope that clarifies the situation further. Thanks, again, for your help.

P.S. - I kept getting this error when trying to post this reply: “Sorry, new users can only put 2 links in a post.” Looked for a way to communicate the URLs while disguising them.

Yes I understand your problem, but perhaps I’m not explaining myself properly.

It might be a browser or OS related issue, though I’m not sure yet, so I’d like some more information and have you try something for me:

• What OS (Mac OSX, Windows, Linux) are you using?

• Can you try using Chrome (or Safari if you are on a Mac)?

Otherwise it’s a rather interesting issue. I’m sure it’d be fun for the browser developers to figure out (but regardless they will need to know what OS you are running).

Also, yes I totally understand about the problem with it not allowing you to post links. It should go away soon, I hope!