Migrating from old version of software wallet to Ledger

Hi,
I have an old version of the desktop wallet and now wish to migrate to Ledger and participate in stacking. At the same time, ideally I would like to create a new passphrase just to make absolutely sure it is secure. The old desktop wallet has STX cryptos so do not want to lose them. Initially I though I would send them to an exchange, delete the old wallet and start again from scratch. However the old wallet does not have a copy and paste option which concerns me as I may end up sending them somewhere else. Can you suggest the simplest and safest way to help me migrate?
Thanks
Will

Hey Will, there’s probably a few ways to do this but you could:

1. Create a new Stacks Wallet Address with this Ledger device, copy this address
  2. Reset the wallet (settings -> reset wallet)
  3. Login to the wallet with your Secret Key (24 word phrase)
  4. Send your STX to the address you copied that is associated with your Ledger

You could do a test amount to start and then proceed as comfortable. Note that the older versions of the Stacks Wallet won’t work for transacting - you’ll need to use the version available at hiro.so/wallet .

Hi Gina,

Thanks for the instructions. Have now created a Stacks wallet with my Ledger and sent some STX from the exchange to make sure it’s all working.

What I’m not clear on is what to do with the old Stacks wallet which still has STX holdings. Are you saying reinstall the STX desktop software and perform a reset, but instead of connecting to Leger, use the old seed to connect to the desktop wallet. Then send the STX from the old upgraded desktop wallet to my Ledger Stacks app address. Once this is done and all my STX is on Ledger, reset the wallet again but connect Ledger and discard the old desktop wallet?

Kind regards

Will

Are you saying reinstall the STX desktop software and perform a reset, but instead of connecting to Leger, use the old seed to connect to the desktop wallet. Then send the STX from the old upgraded desktop wallet to my Ledger Stacks app address. Once this is done and all my STX is on Ledger, reset the wallet again but connect Ledger and discard the old desktop wallet?

Yes, as you currently have two separate STX addresses. You can send your STX tokens from the software version of desktop wallet (accessible via 24 word secret key) to the Ledger Stacks address to combine the balances and have them all secured by Ledger. Let me know if this helps or if there are any other questions!

This didn’t work. I’m getting an error when I enter the 24 word secret key, not compatible with BIP-39. I’ve double checked the spelling, the order, all is in lower case, no numbers or additional characters and all with 1 space in between. The secret key is definitely correct. Any ideas?

Some extra information. The old version of my STX wallet is 3.1.1.0. Currently there is insufficient BTC in this wallet to send anything out of this wallet. Should this version still work and do I absolutely need to upgrade 1st? If so can you let me know how I can get round this BIP-39 error? Thanks

One suggestion would be to double check all the words against the word list here, and see if there are any variations of words that might be causing the error: bips/english.txt at master · bitcoin/bips · GitHub

You’ll need to use the latest version available at hiro.so/wallet to transact with STX. Older versions of the Stacks Wallet won’t work for transacting as they are effectively “read only” post Stacks 2.0.

Thanks, that was a great help! One of the words was wrong, I had read upload but the word on the list was actually uphold. Everything is working now and all my crypto is now using the Ledger secret key.

1 Like

late to the game here- I’ve got the new ledger live app and my new secret phrase. I have the old Desktop Stacks Wallet and DO NOT have the secret phrase, but the old wallet is active. Is there a way for me to send the STX on my desktop to the new ledge stx account without resetting the wallet since I do not have the old secret phrase?

1 Like

Getting concerned about the various communications here on which is the actual stacks support