If all my data is on my computer, my pc would need to be always online like a server?

New user survey received the following question:

“If all my data is on my computer, would my pc would need to be always online like a server?”

Our storage model is different from traditional peer-to-peer storage systems where data is kept either on your node (and you need to keep your computer online) or on other peers which might go offline.

We use traditional cloud storage providers like Dropbox, Amazon, Google etc in a way that we put encrypted and/or signed data on them. The cloud providers have no visibility into what you’re storing there. We treat them as “dumb harddisks”.

Users can connect their deployment of Blockstack Core or the Blockstack browser with their storage provider like Dropbox and Blockstack will take care of using that as your personal cloud storage. You can even replicate your data on multiple storage backends for redundancy.

Sorry for the amateurish question, but what is the difference in this specific case between block stack and solutions like tresorit (true zero knowledge / end to end encryption / credential stored on device, etc)?

@jeromea From a cursory glance at the website, I would say one major difference is that we are Open Source. Also data encryption looks like their primary business. We are using the encryption described above to build a system where users control their own data and can provide access at their discretion. Does that help?