How I can trust dApps will be updated in the long run?

Hi all. New Blockstack user. I’m looking to release myself from Google’s tentacles and Blockstack looks like a great replacement. Specifically, I’m looking at replacing Drive and Docs. I have been looking at a lot of the dApps and they all seem to not have been updated since 2019.

How can I be reassured these apps weren’t just hastily created to pump up the perception of Blockstack’s dApp library? How can I be reassured that 100s of GBs of my files won’t disappear on an app like pDrive because a team is no longer working on it? Will any of these apps be systematically updated for speed, fluidity, ux?

I’m a huge supporter of decentralization, and I’m really excited for Blockstack, however, I’d love to have more confidence when I begin to refer my friends and family to begin using it.

Thanks!

1 Like

If the app goes away, your files and data is still there, under your control!

There is for example a tool Mercuris (https://github.com/MichaelFedora/mercurius) that let you explorer all your data. Just be careful about entering your secret keys on websites in general!

Personally, I prefer to use open source app so that it is easier to continue work on the app if the current team drops support…

1 Like

Thanks!

Which open source apps do you recommend?