How future Blockstack summits can be more remotely inclusive

Continuing the discussion from Blockstack Summit NYC 2015 Mega Thread:

We had 2 big Bitcoin conferences this past weekend - Scaling Bitcoin and Blockstack Summit so it’s hard not to compare and contrast - and I think a valuable exercise for future Blockstack events.

Scaling Bitcoin went out of the way to include those who couldn’t attend in person. There was live video and live interaction via IRC. There have been lots of chat and discussion about the presentations in various Bitcoin related topics at scaling in chat groups among people that weren’t even attending. It was the main topic of discussion at our Hong Kong meetup yesterday.

It’s now 3 days out and besides a few (awesome!) tweets from @muneeb @ryan @glepage @light and a few others - It’s hard to get a handle of what went on. I can’t be the only one.

Things we can do to improve remote inclusivity in the future:

• Make sure 1 person is responsible for live streaming so it gets done. Not record and upload at some unknown point in the future. @light can’t do everything.
  • Make sure there’s a single place on the event page people can go to get info: (example https://scalingbitcoin.org/montreal2015/)

• Make sure everyone knows what hashtag to tweet

Thanks for your feedback Larry, we’ll add your suggestions to the list of things to do for future events. I’m going to be taking feedback like this and adding it to a knowledge pool in the Blockstack wiki on GitHub.

Hey @larry definitely understand your frustration and I hear you. I will be uploading quite a few images from the event

Definitely agree. To be fair, both @light and myself were reaching out to all our contacts, and they were reaching out as well, to get someone to do the live stream. I even posted a request on Parsons Design School board looking for someone. But with the time of year and the short notice, we were unable to secure someone. @light stepped up and volunteered. We definitely learned that we need to get more bodies from the community involved. There really was only a handful of individuals up until the last week or so. We’ll get this right on the next event for sure.

We had a designated page http://blockstack.org/summit with all the information

Agreed! @light and myself discussed it and were using #blockstacksummit and #blockstack. Alternatives we discussed were #BS2015, which for obvious reasons we decided not to go with, and #blockstacknyc which seemed to be too NYC centric.

1 Like