Evangelist / Open Community Meeting - 4.23.2020

This recap post is uniting all of our ongoing community efforts and enumerates the various ways we can help each other out. Please see our community call-to-action to help move the ecosystem forward!

:pushpin:Community Call-to-Action

By completing each checkbox :ballot_box_with_check: you are helping our community create a better Blockstack ecosystem! :facepunch:

:balance_scale:Governance WG c/o Juliet
@JulietOberding reiterated the importance of a governance survey. At the moment, we have 45 respondents and we at least need to reach 100 . The survey wants to understand the Blockstack community and how it should be governed, so it is really important to get as much participation. This will help the Governance Working Group craft proposals for community governance moving forward.

This is your community! So please take part in shaping its governance by filling up the form.

:ballot_box_with_check:Take the Governance Survey now: https://stacksgov.typeform.com/to/GJzIeI Feel free to use the language your most comfortable with.
:ballot_box_with_check:Read the Community Governance Interview to learn more about each stakeholder in our ecosystem.
:ballot_box_with_check:The Foundation is currently looking for a name, please add your suggestion in the upcoming forum post of Juliet. Everyone’s participation is highly encouraged!

:briefcase:Business Models WG c/o Jason
@whoabuddy goes sprint style agenda like what they do in the BMWG where they hit their points quick and focus hard on action items. He gave a quick overview of their group’s goal → “How do we create an economy in Blockstack STX ecosystem?” He then followed it with an update about their recent milestones and PBCs plan to fund tools, projects and resources that will support business models for Stacks 2.0.

As @patrick, our Head of Growth always said → We need to create a loop that will turn our #passiveHodlers into #activeHodlers. Thus, we need to know our STX holders and how we can serve them better.

:ballot_box_with_check:Read https://valueflo.ws/ - Vocabulary for a distributed network in the next economy.
:ballot_box_with_check:Any input on the Blockstack x InHolland Course Tokenomi collaboration is appreciated.
:ballot_box_with_check:Finalize nomination with Business Model Working Group for the Inholland Tokenomics Course.
When: April 30 2PM CET
What: Someone from BMWG will intro Blockstack for their Tokenomics Course.
:ballot_box_with_check: @shannon get feedback on PBC’s initial idea for Business Model Competition from the Business Model Working Group.
:ballot_box_with_check:If anybody is interested in Smart Contract Development and experiencing some blockers, please start a conversation in discord.
:ballot_box_with_check:For the next week or two please let the Business Model Working Group know if you need any tools that can support the development of new business models.

:gear:PoX WG c/o Harold
@genTre gave an overview about what the PoX group have been up to the past month. Their group kicked off the Ambassadors meeting, a one on one session that explains the various contributions that could be done in testnet. He also enumerated their overall group’s contribution around PoX:

:ballot_box_with_check:Any input on how we can refine Harini’s Validator Suggestion.
:ballot_box_with_check:Any input on how we can refine Friedger’s Validator Suggestion.
:ballot_box_with_check:Peter’s work on Stackulator needs community and PBC encouragement. Let’s check on Peter and see how we can help him out and what kind of support we can provide.

Community Bounties c/o @jrmith

As we all know, blockchains are generally hard to change and that is why Testnets are super important! Help us test out, poke at, and tinker with the testnet at every phase. Get excited as we unlock four of the non-technical community bounties in Phase 1 - Neon.

Non-Technical Bounties
Each bounty is listed as an issue in this repo. Criteria for each bounty may vary, but for most bounties, you can simply post a link to your submission in the comments under each issue.

Technical Bounties
Bug and tooling bounties will be released soon at testnet.blockstack.org. Stay tuned!!!

:pushpin:Community Updates

Introducing Blockstack PBC New Developer Evangelist, Joe Bender.

Joe grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, receiving his Masters in Information Science from the University of Pittsburgh. After gaining an interest in blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies in 2016, he moved to New York City and joined ConsenSys to work on Ethereum. Joe recently joined Blockstack as a Developer Evangelist, looking to spread awareness of the technology and empower developers to build powerful decentralized applications. His favorite thing about the blockchain ecosystem is the passionate, thriving community full of eclectic, ambitious thinkers.

Community Events
Shannon gave an overview of upcoming community events around testnet:

  • DeFi Discussions Summit - May 1 - 4
    • Muneeb will be speaking on May 1
    • Xan will talk about Mining on May 4
  • Consensus - May 11 - 14
    • We an hour of stage time on May 12 from 11 AM. Free event.
    • Register and represent Blockstack. RSVP here.
  • CogX Virtual Event - June 8-10 → Shannon will look for possible discounts.
  • Blockstack Virtual Event - End of June (I personally can’t wait for this one)

Other Action Items:

:ballot_box_with_check:Circle back with Deodat about the coding hygiene issue from @marvin.id article. Also attaching Dan’s comment here that it only affects individual apps that use usernames and these names are deterministic, not the keys. Apps using best practices should not be impacted. He also said this only affects individual users, not whole apps or platforms.

Thank you for joining our evangelist/open community call! Don’t forget to tick off all the checkbox and follow up accordingly. See you all next month!! :facepunch: