Business Model Working Group Session - 03/09/20

Recording: https://zoom.us/rec/play/tZAvJr2t_Go3TNfAswSDA6NwW9W1eP2s0CJK__ELnRnkAnYFYAHwZuYVYgv0aJNS9Uc8SPtA6LCG88A?autoplay=true

Key Takeaways

• Results from @whoabuddy’s survey on developer motives and goals. Please fill it out here if you haven’t already.

• Reiterating our goal: To come up with business models that help developers generate revenue for themselves, while simultaneously adding value to the ecosystem.

• There are so many ideas for potential business models, e.g. app tokens, app chains––which do we prioritize and how do we get our community to start working on them?

• Need to expand education around smart contract and general business model development ahead of Stacks 2.0 launch, so that developers have a base from which to start experimenting and building, i.e. tutorials on how to write smart contracts in the first place. –@dant

• In the same way that Zero-to-Dapp kickstarted app development, we could have a Zero-to-STX tutorial on how to handle transactions –@whoabuddy or a Zero-to-Contract tutorial on how to use Clarity –@jrmith

• Once we he have a more detailed list of the highest impact ideas/projects for leveraging Clarity, STX, and Stacks 2.0, we can consider offering bounties or grants to our community to pursue them.

Next Steps:

1. [BY EOD ON 03/11]: Compile an exhaustive list of ideas that we may want to pursue; these could be topics for tutorials/educational materials or ideas for hackathon projects. Add your ideas in response to this post.

2. [BY EOD ON 03/15]: Prioritize these ideas using the RICE scoring methodology here (examines factors like reach, impact, and effort). If you don’t have your own sheet, please feel free to duplicate the first sheet and use your own!

3. [ON 03/16]: Work together during next Monday’s session to select the top ideas to get started on.

1 Like

Ideas:

• Tutorial on how to build an NFT smart contract –@dant
  • Tutorial on how to build a new token on Stacks 2.0 –@dant
  • Inspired by old Ethereum tutorials: How to create an ICO, how to create a DAO –@patrick
  • Workshop on how we could build a decentralized Radiks
  • Workshop on understanding app chains
  • Workshop on monetizing data, data storage

Lots of good ideas in this thread as well: Smart Contract Development Thread

2 Likes

I think one of the best ways to create these tutorials is to have some sort of hackathon within our community and beyond that will promote the experimentation of Clarity. We should encourage “experimentation” to uncover new possible BMs. We could learn a thing or two from Stratis or Chainlink. Attaching some resources below for inspiration. :point_down:

That way we can easily pick which Clarity tutorials we wanna champion as a community and work/enhance those as we move forward.

2 Likes

Few ideas:

Tutorials

• How can be value generated for ecosystem -> miners, stackers, their motivations and incentives to help understand everyone how to generate value for the ecosystem.
  • List of ways how App creators help generate value for the ecosystem -> Earn STX for existing holders, convert app users into new STX hodlers
  • List of existing crypto specific business models and how they can implemented in Blockstack to get up to date. Few ideas here -> micro-transactions, money streaming, crypto-collectibles, ICOs, NFTs, flash. loans, stacking, staking
  • Introduce Blockstack specific business models to communicate uniqueness of blockstack compared to other platforms -> payments for data, app chains.
  • Pure crypto hybrid models Bitcoin/STX , ETH/STX to connect to the rest of the ecosystem.
  • Fiat / Crypto models to onboard new users ideally in a way where crypto specific complexity is hidden from user

Hackathon Ideas
Given that we are focusing on developers we should focus on developer experience, think what Stripe or Ruby On Rails did. Blockstack is already pretty good with this. We could improve underlying infrastructure - Radiks, boilerplate etc depends on feedback from developers.

Inspiration
21.co had nice list of tutorials. https://web.archive.org/web/20160414162504/https://21.co/learn/

2 Likes

Hopefully I’m not too late to the party, things have been running in quite a few directions as of late. :crazy_face:

@jrmith Thanks for compiling everything we talked about, I am excited to see ideas turn into action, and I think we are definitely making progress in that direction.

@louiseivan Agreed that past hackathons and experimentation are the way to go for research, especially if we can generate some ideas about what makes Blockstack unique, or anything towards collaboration and sustainability as a group. I will definitely check out those links.

@Trudko Great ideas here, and I think this is a great high-level view of some of the possibilities. It covers a lot of what we’ve talked about and more.

I think one question we can ask ourselves as we look over these resources, which of these ideas do we need right now? If we had to, what could we work to implement next week?

Even if it is unrealistic from a timeline perspective, it could help narrow down some possibilities for the list we apply RICE scoring to, as well as reveal some of the underlying motivations of the group as a whole.

Another challenge I wanted to present: How do we think outside the DApp?

By that I mean, how can we generate shared tools, collaborative APIs, and ideas that are in sync with the community? As Stacks 2.0 evolves and the Stacks Foundation grows, my impression is that much of this should be led by a community effort, which means we have the opportunity as a group to provide our input on focus and direction.

Instead of thinking “I can create an app to do this”, how can we focus on “I can create a framework so everyone an do this?” It is my hope that by abstracting the purpose of a DApp, we can create more fundamentally useful tools across the group, and encourage people to work together in the Blockstack ecosystem.

If we, as a community, were to undertake the development and stewardship of tools used on the Blockstack platform, where should the focus begin?

As far as individual ideas, I like the idea of creating a “Zero to STX” or “Zero to Clarity” tutorial, and the idea of developing a hackathon around smart contracts. I do not have any concrete use cases yet, but I am curious about how we can all use smart contracts to ensure consensus on an idea, to transfer payments (or fees) between parties, and other methods related to how I could migrate my consulting business to work within this ecosystem full-time.

I am also interested in the potential of app chains, or as Jude described it, the ability to “run an instance of Stacks 2.0 on top of an instance of Stacks 2.0, just like how Stacks 2.0 runs on top of Bitcoin today”. I think there is a lot of untapped potential here.

Given the information presented so far I think we have a clear list of ideas to review, but I am curious as to which are most important to the community.

Also, I like the idea of building smaller sub-communities with alignment on core goals. I think this could be a good use case for app chains and a possibility to direct and maintain stewardship of part of the underlying protocols. It would enable groups to enforce a widely-accepted preference, such as using open source software or embracing CBE policies, that could be verified by an audit process or possibly even smart contracts within the sub-community.

A great example I found came from Trivago in 2016, inspired by Spotify, to create “guilds” that were stewards to protocol structure, implementation, and maintenance. Some of the ideas are sourced from Henry Martyn Robert in Robert’s Rules to Order. I think this ecosystem could benefit from a similar culture, and could also add benefits through stacking or other mechanisms unique to this ecosystem.

That’s all for now - looking forward to the next phase!

1 Like
  1. As I understand, Stacks 2.0 will have the capacity to have tokens. So it will useful to have an understanding of benefits and drawbacks and an easy way to establish a apps token ecosystem.
  2. There is a need to exchange a crypto currency token to another currency. So the way to interact with exchanges using smartcontract could be useful.
  3. Pay as you go could be a typical way that smartcontracts could be used. The challenge is how to do it in fluid way without inturrupting the natural and productive way of an application.
  4. When certifying a document or a set of documents using the blockchain, we need a procedure and smartcontract to do it easily and securely.
  5. When signing documents by different users, it could be useful to have a way using smartcontracts to help securing and assuring that actually was signed by the users.
  6. Use the smartcontracts to store the status of some object. It should be a secure and quick way to know status of and object when different users are collaborating.
  7. When data is collected from different sources, for ie, from IoT devices we need to evaluate if that data follows certain rules that were previously defined in a smartcontract. Depending on what are the outcomes, probably the smartcontract has to issue a notification, or charge or release a payment.
  8. We have Blockstack IDs, then how we could match or certify that we own a ID certificate from another provider, in order to leverage the Blockstack ID without needing to go all the cumbersome of certifiying an identity at different levels.
2 Likes

This is good for developer bounties.

2 Likes

Thank you Jenny! Great summary there!

I believe in sub-communities too. Great ideas there @whoabuddy

Creating tools which can be reused as modules for the purpose of building new Dapps? The form of which could be Smart Contracts, but other types of inter-operable “modules”? For example, a blockstack version of Facebook invite that can be used by apps built on top of Facebook… This maybe is already possible natively (by simply accessing the user’s data if permitted).

It reminds me the NoCode movement: creating modules that can be used as bricks to build an App.

Still, I believe that a small group of individuals (a startup) can build something, for example a DApp, that can be of tremendous value in itself: something new but similar, and 10 times better than what existed before. The idea that a stand alone Dapp built on top of BlockStack could actually make a big difference?

Great contribution Phil. I like your approach via use cases.
I like point 8 because it anchors Blockstack to other existing providers and helps build reputation for users.

Another couple of use cases, and maybe we can look at what’s already being done in the Ethereum community:

• a smart contract that escrows a $ amount to be released based upon a triggering event
  • a smart contract that randomly selects a winner from a list of participants like in a lottery
  • a token which value goes to zero after a certain deadline

I am interested in discussing where the blockchain would make sense, and in particular BlockStack thanks to its specificities (which makes us all very enthusiastic) : which environment (industry or use case), and why it makes sense in terms of disrupting / enhancing current business models & processes + are there obstacles to implementing the idea (regulatory, scalability, confidentiality, other etc…)

Hey everyone, the RICE scoring sheet is up: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j7hBm73XIud9ZgvODvECTgesjb9QbxKBgjOcL1bGS9s/edit?usp=sharing

Please fill out your scores by the end of the day on Sunday, March 15th.

If you have any questions, don’t be shy to drop them in Discord. Looking forward to seeing everyone’s results!