Blockstack wallet app questions: private keys, ERC-20 tokens, Omni Layer

Hey folks,
I’ve been doing research about the various crypto wallets (myether, metamask, hardware ones). I understand users would need a private key to sign transactions with. As such, would it be correct to assume that we’re expected to allow users to create private keys for various protocols (ethereum vs bitcoin) on this universal wallet app, and then encrypt and store those private keys in the user’s Gaia storage, so next time we authenticate them with Blockstack, the app can just load their private key (and public addresses) to send more transactions?

AFAIK, other alternatives would be to allow the user to connect a hardware wallet or Metamask, or build a desktop client to sign transactions with.

Would anyone be able to shed some light or share thoughts on this aspect?

Another question, I understand there are various ERC-20 tokens. There’s also Omni Layer protocol, where would I be able to find a list of Omni protocol tokens? Two that I know of are Tether and Omni itself.

Cheers,

• Sepehr
1 Like

As such, would it be correct to assume that we’re expected to allow users to create private keys for various protocols (ethereum vs bitcoin) on this universal wallet app, and then encrypt and store those private keys in the user’s Gaia storage, so next time we authenticate them with Blockstack, the app can just load their private key (and public addresses) to send more transactions?

If supported, it would be better to encrypt a master key and simply use the standard derivation paths to derive each coin’s key on-the-fly. You could store the master key to Gaia (encrypted), as well as the user’s chosen coin types (also encrypted), and then derive the coin-specific keys on-the-fly. This would be less brittle than generating and storing the keys directly.

AFAIK, other alternatives would be to allow the user to connect a hardware wallet or Metamask, or build a desktop client to sign transactions with.

This would be a nice feature to support alongside a software wallet :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Jude! @sepehr for a list of OMNI protocol tokens see the following link from their website: https://www.omniwallet.org/explorer/assets

Thanks @jude and @xan for the inputs.
Lots of exciting ideas to work on here.

1 Like