Blockstack id and default bitcoin address

When a new account id is created you get a mnemonic, which I assume is for an HD wallet.

I see my (default) bitcoin address but I cannot find/calculate it from that mnemonic/master key.

What is the hd path used for the default address?

Your mnemonic is for an HD wallet, but each Blockstack ID has a different derivation path. The path format is $YOUR_MASTER_KEY/888'/0'/$ID_ADDRESS_INDEX.

2 Likes

Fantastic. I can recreate the address now.

Something else that I might need is to be able to periodically change the owner_address (e.g. https://core.blockstack.org/v1/users/fred)

Is that possible to do?

How many BNS nodes (like https://core.blockstack.org/) are actually live in the network? Is there a list with some trustworthy ones? Do BNS nodes form a P2P system (e.g. can I run a BNS node and ask for its peers)?

(if there are no quick answers could you please point me to the appropriate document/site?)

Thank you in advance!

Yes, but only via the CLI at this time (via the transfer command).

Depends on how you count. Blockstack Core nodes only relay information on nodes that are publicly routable, so any number I could measure would be a severe undercount (since lots of folks run NAT’ed nodes). Also, the consensus state for Blockstack is written to the Bitcoin chain, so it’s just as available and durable as Bitcoin. Off-chain name state is replicated to every Blockstack Core node, so as long as at least one of them has a replica, the entire system state can be recovered.

Blockstack Core nodes self-assemble into a random peer graph via the Atlas peer network in order to replicate off-chain state. Think of it like BitTorrent, but driven by something way more resilient than a DHT.

You’d enjoy docs.blockstack.org :wink:

Thank you for your prompt replies and useful info.

Can I have a measure even if it is a severe undercount (which is understandable as you explained).

I am interested about the order of mangitute… i.e. are we talking about 3 publicly routable nodes, 13 or 103?

PS. Related to my other question to ensure that I haven’t misunderstood:

Also, the consensus state for Blockstack is written to the Bitcoin chain, so it’s just as available and durable as Bitcoin.

Will the above still apply in the new Stacks Blockchain or the consensus state will then be written in a contract of Stacks?

My (NAT’ed) node can see 12 public peers right now. NAT’ed peers don’t show up. The command I used was sqlite3 ~/.blockstack-server/atlas.db 'select count(*) from peers;'

The block hashes and leader election histories from all Stacks blockchain forks will be written to the Bitcoin chain. This will be enough information for a light client to determine the longest Stacks fork, as well its blocks’ hashes and parent/child relationships.

Thank you @jude

You have been very helpful.