Blockchain Preference?

I understand Blockstack offers a path to building applications without lock-in, Both in terms for the user but also the application developers. Developers may choose which blockchain is best suited to be the backbone of their apps -
providing the security and tapping into the clever possibilities of a particular chain.

I’d love to hear from someone with a bit more experience to explain what’s it really means to have no lock-in to a particular blockchain. Is is just to give developers greater choice? Or are new ways of doing things possible by mixing different strengths of one chain with the strengths of another? Am I thinking along a sensible track?

Thanks for your time - go nuts on correcting me. I’m a little new in some ways to the ideas here :relaxed:

Is is just to give developers greater choice? Or are new ways of doing things possible by mixing different strengths of one chain with the strengths of another?

Both :slight_smile:

In addition, one thing we discovered is that applications can outlive the blockchains they use. This means that applications need to migrate from blockchain to blockchain. We migrated from Namecoin to Bitcoin, for example. Having a virtualchain implementation that supports this kind of migration is also necessary for the system’s long-term survival.

1 Like

Thanks for the response.

What a huge strength. In a time where people are endlessly bumbling about which chain will ‘win’, we can focus on the cool stuff that can sit on any :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One thing @jude Didn’t mention is that we (he) implemented a virtualchain library in python to make this happen. Currently we only have support for the Bitcoin blockchain, but the library could be easily extended to add support for other blockchains.

1 Like