30m STX to give away

It looks like governance for the foundation is a big topic. Could we start with a more concrete, focused task? Like how to define rules how to distribute 30m STX.

Are there any models? How to do that? Can we come up with one or two proposals that already exist? @whoabuddy do you have any resources about that?

1 Like

For context, read this as a starting point :slight_smile: https://blog.blockstack.org/the-next-phase-of-app-mining/

@lrettig Do you see the discussion about this funds in a focus group (or something like that) or more as part of the mission/vision of the foundation?

Good question. I think this will require more discussion with the PBC stakeholders! My understanding is that PBC is the entity that did fundraising, minted the tokens, and has competently and fairly managed the treasury up to now. I think it’s premature to talk about what should happen to the treasury until there’s an understanding of the overall roles and responsibilities, and checks and balances, of and among the Foundation, PBC, and other entities.

I can certainly conceive of a future where the Foundation plays a role in things like treasury management and app mining. It would be interesting to discuss what would need to happen, realistically, to enable that.

I think the 30M STX discussion can be broadly under app mining and a future developer fund context. The Blockstack PBC treasury is separate. The Stacks Foundation can also potentially have its own treasury.

The 30M STX for app mining will be separate from both these treasuries and is exclusively focused on developers and apps.

3 Likes

@friedger Sorry I’m late to the party, I didn’t see you tagged me in this one! Unfortunately, I do not have much to add at this time.

I think it is wise to pause the app mining for now, and I applaud the problems To be solved put forward in the blog post about the next phase. (Thanks @muneeb!)

I also think this is an exciting time. As the working groups for governance and business models continue to develop new theories and put them into practice, we have the potential to determine how every bit of this will move forward. As @lrettig said:

I think it’s premature to talk about what should happen to the ((30M STX)) until there’s an understanding of the overall roles and responsibilities, and checks and balances, of and among the Foundation, PBC, and other entities.

However, I do see the potential for a future working group or focused discussion on this topic, and I hope that we, as a community, can come to alignment over how to measure and rank apps against the can't be evil requirements.

While creating the Getting Started with Governance post I was overwhelmed (in a good way) by the repeated message of “digital rights”. The lists coming from several different sources were near the same in substance, and I think we are all ready for a significant change - even if we cannot conceive how that looks just yet.

I also anticipate a shift after the Stacks 2.0 release, especially following the implementation of smart contracts. Once all of these things settle, then I think it will be natural for this topic to come up again.

This sounds like a great start!

3 Likes