2019-06-12 Engineering Meeting (Open to the Public)

This is an open-to-the-public meeting. Our engineering team meets and anyone in the community is welcome — app developers, app users, and the simply curious.

You can listen in, ask a question, or participate in our discussions of engineering concerns or questions.

Date/Time: 2019-06-12 @ 15:00 UTC / 10:00 EDT / 23:00 HKT
Click here to convert to your time zone
Length: 45 minutes
Meeting link: https://zoom.us/j/559551975

Go here to subscribe to our meetings and event calendar.

Meeting Minutes

A recording of the full meeting is available here.

What is the difference between atlas and smart contract maps? Are they related at all?

• Atlas as it exsits today is data that is available to our blockchain. It exists in parralletl and is distributed by our nodes. But transactions on the chain can continue without it. Atlas will just continue if it is missing a zone file and will listen for new ones but continue forward.
  • Data maps affect of what happens on the transaction layer. Data in data maps is similar to data in bitcoin. You can’t contiue processing transaction if you are missing data.

Decentralizing Radiks

Hank introduced his new design for decentralizing Radiks and asked for feedback. Team discussed various aspects of this new proposal, what is required, and approaches to it.

Engineering On Call Calendar Status

Should we continue to have this or is it no longer needed.

What is the difference between atlas and smart contract maps? Are they related at all? Both should only store small amount of data. Both are replicated across all nodes. Both are world readable, and only user writable.

1 Like

I wrote up a proposal for decentralizing Radiks. I’d like to give a high-level overview and get some thoughts before posting it publicly.

3 Likes

This is awesome @hank! Can you post any high level details on how this would work?

I’m still working out the kinks on the individual details. I’ve shared the proposal internally to get input on some of the technical details, and am feeling good overall about it. I hope to share it on the forum by the end of the week, but my bandwidth is pretty slim right now.

High level - it will function more like federated protocols (ActivityPub, Matrix) than a true decentralized consensus model (i.e. blockchains). This is mainly to optimize for speed, efficiency, cost, friction, etc.

From a functionality standpoint, it should achieve all of the obvious goals - anyone can run a Radiks server and keep in sync with other servers that share data for a particular “app type”. Users can pick and choose which server they want to connect with, or even run their own.

Another way to put it is that collections will let you share your data across multiple apps. Radiks will let you share everyone’s data across multiple apps. And Radiks will use collections under the hood.

2 Likes