2018-11-21 Engineering Meeting

Date/Time: 2018-11-21 @ 15:00 UTC / 10:00 EDT / 23:00 HKT
Click here to convert to your time zone
Length: 45 minutes
Meeting link: [Launch Meeting - Zoom]

This meeting is for the engineering team, app developers and the community to discuss engineering concerns or questions.

Agenda

Please reply to this forum post with items you would like included on the agenda.

Each item should include:

Item name
Background information: Links to github issues, forum posts, etc with background information on the item
Desired outcome: what decision or deliverable would you like from the discussion of this topic at the meeting?

MEETING NOTES

After three minutes of silence…

Wallet and Transaction History

@aulneau.id when someone is querying their stacks address in the wallet if they query right before the cache clearing happens it results in a werid state where you can see a balance but without transaction history. Wallet needs to see transaction history faster.

@aaron We can reduce caching time on addresses. Or, cache busting with the URL. So you add a query string. Try that, it might already just work with a random query string.

@yukan I’ve been working on the query the bitcoin chain for transactions and …

@aaron Wallets tend to show you your transactions history before they have been confirmed. There might be a conversation in the forum about this.

@larry Blockcypher used to do some decoding of blockstack transactions… where they said “this is probably a blockstack transaction”

Status page for our services

@aulneau it might be good to have a status page for our services

@aaron I’ll write that down. I think a unified build system is more important right now.

Jesse is working on that system. I will to put it on the list. I haven’t thought about the status page specifically but it would be good to have.

@aaron Users would be able to see it. It would basically be everything we are running.

Explorer status update

@larry asked about the performance and the “error” that occasionally.

@hank and @jwiley are working on this said @aulneau.id

What causes this?

@yukan There were some outages… Hank made some changes so we don’t have to rely on the warning node. Now, if you look up an address that has not been loaded before it won’t show the page…but it you reload it shows again.

@larry Said this is the same problem he saw too.
Bad first experience.
@larry Seems to be a caching thing…
@aaron I wouldn’t say it is a caching problem…just that is the thing we always think this is…

@hank and @jwiley are going to fix this … we think at Thanksgiving weekend (Just kidding). They are responsible.

@aaron We also want to refine the deploy of that site.
Jesse is likely to be able to look at this fairly quickly.

Discussion devolved into various deployment methods and tools that are possible.

noted all this for the devops team. Maybe have @jwiley could do an overview of the build system (Jenkins or what evs).

@yukan Maybe we coudl have a way of open sourcing this with people externally to build how to build.

@moxiegirl will update docs with @aulneau.id suggestion of a “how to deploy / cors” section. Thomas may have some others.

Sign in with Blockstack Button component

@larry suggested having one of these.

@aulneau.id Thomas has one already…normal users won’t use that component library. But he could make a standalone REACT button that someone installs. @moxiegirl can also add one to the docs

Discussion went randomized about Dapps on the store

Some put a pay button their Dapp. The snippets Dapp is something really liked. She liked the fact that it only had the things on there worked and it really looked good. It is in the App store.

Discussion of front end…Vue and etc.

A question came up about parsing Stacks transactions – there’s an old forum post about it here:

1 Like