Date/Time: 2018-10-24 @ 14:00 UTC / 10:00 EDT / 22:00 HKT
Click here to convert to your time zone
Length: 30 minutes
Meeting link: https://zoom.us/j/966890423
This meeting is for the engineering team, app developers and the community to discuss engineering concerns or questions.
Please reply to this forum post with items you would like included on the agenda.
Each item should include:
Background information: Links to github issues, forum posts, etc with background information on the item
Desired outcome: what decision or deliverable would you like from the discussion of this topic at the meeting?
Developer happiness OKR discussion
Today we’ll be discussing the developer happiness OKR for the Blockstack PBC team.
Desired outcome: consensus on the OKR direction and content
This is a list of issues we discovered last quarter:
- It is hard for non-technical users to spin up Gaia hubs
- Once deployed, is hard to persistently select your own Gaia hub from the Browser
- It is hard for users to share their Gaia hubs’ storage with other users
- It’s hard for apps to ask for write access to multiple Gaia hubs
- There’s no standard way to do collections
- There’s no standard way to do user-to-user messaging (or, we need Gaia inboxes)
- Apps can’t control or even theme the onboarding experience, leading to user confusion.
- Apps can’t prompt users to sign new auth tokens in-app.
- Apps can’t prompt users to generate a new ID-address in-app (i.e. to receive an app-specific asset)
- Better documentation on feature release timelines in blockstack.js
- Better documentation of server-side processes (e.g. subdomain registrar, Gaia hub)
KR: Address at least one technical blocker for new developers using a feature.
Involves talking/asking newbs to developers. Interview or maybe automating a way to ask new devs about the problem. Feedback from the meetups.
Our current meetup guide does not include a form for feedback. I volunteer to develop one. I’m going to see if I can drive this.