Adding a note here to encourage discussion around a timeline for this.
Since this impacts the whole network, any potential change would need to undergo the SIP process. Ideally, we would like the SIP process to unfold in parallel to some of the research + development efforts. I encourage everyone to highlight places where my estimation seems off, bring up any other linked dependencies, or mention other related deadlines.
A group of community contributors and core devs have proposed various solutions (write ups on the forum or coming soon) and we’ve quickly hired a tokenomics expert to model out the ones that involve changing how miners are rewarded. Changes like this need to be done carefully and the data will be useful to everyone during the eventual SIP process. We’re looking forward to sharing that data/report with everyone in the next few weeks as they complete their research.
Possible Engineering Timeline
- 4/21 - Research complete, proposal selected for implementation.
- 5/15 - Dev work + testing complete
- Preliminary reviews occurring in tandem
- Release testing happening ASAP (perhaps even before all unit tests are written)
- 5/25 - All engineering work wrapped up, release tested and ready
- 6/1 - All nodes upgrade to newest release
[UPDATED]: I’ll be working HeroGamer, Jenny, and the community members that join weekly SIP calls to discuss alignment on a SIP timeline that works for the community.
[NOTE: This is a very preliminary (and possibly optimistic) timeline. The Core devs are comfortable taking the time to ensure we get the solution right!]